
So my newest obsession has been cloth diapers! Yep, I said it...cloth diapers. I know, you are probably thinking she has lost her mind. BUT, I've been doing a lot of research on cloth diapers and the consensus is that they aren't that bad. They are better for the environment, better for your baby's bum, cheaper on the wallet and did I mention they are adorable? I know not many people will support my choice to try cloth diapers, I've already mentioned it to a few people and they look at me like I'm from another planet. I don't think you should judge a book by its cover though, and don't knock it until 1) you try it or 2) you do your homework and have some facts to back up your reasons for not going the cloth diaper route. Don't shame me for wanting to be the best mother I can be. It may or may not work out for us, but you know what? I'm going to give it a fair shot, so wish me luck!!
I made my first cloth diaper purchase today (whoo hoo!) and I am so excited! I went with Smartipants one size all in one cloth diapers. Since we don't know what we are having yet I bought the neutral color pack. Even when we do know what we are having I think I will only buy a few gender specific diapers so that we can reuse for the second child (if we decide to do so). Anyway, I got one white, one yellow and one green. The reviews are great and they are made in the USA. What's not to love? They should fit from newborn to potty training, between 7 to 35 pounds. How versatile! They allow your baby to breathe and the word on the street from other cloth diaper moms is that your baby will have less diaper rash! And we all know that a sore bum makes for a cranky baby.
Just a fun fact that I bet you didn't know about disposable diapers...Did you know that you are not supposed to just fold those dirty diapers up and toss them in the trash? You are actually supposed to dump any solids in the toilet and flush it down just like you would a cloth diaper (it even says this on the disposable diaper box). Can you believe that? Who knew? I know that no one who uses disposable diapers actually does this, but it is unsanitary for human feces to end up in the land fill. Did you know that it can seep into the ground and get into your water supply causing disease? Okay, so maybe that's a little extreme, but it could happen! AND it takes up to 200 years for a disposable diaper to decompose in the landfill. When you consider up to 7,000 diapers per child from new born to potty training, that's A LOT of diapers. I told you....I'm obsessed!
It's so fun (and a little overwhelming) researching cloth diapers but I've learned a lot so far and I'm excited to see where this road takes us. :)
I made my first cloth diaper purchase today (whoo hoo!) and I am so excited! I went with Smartipants one size all in one cloth diapers. Since we don't know what we are having yet I bought the neutral color pack. Even when we do know what we are having I think I will only buy a few gender specific diapers so that we can reuse for the second child (if we decide to do so). Anyway, I got one white, one yellow and one green. The reviews are great and they are made in the USA. What's not to love? They should fit from newborn to potty training, between 7 to 35 pounds. How versatile! They allow your baby to breathe and the word on the street from other cloth diaper moms is that your baby will have less diaper rash! And we all know that a sore bum makes for a cranky baby.
Just a fun fact that I bet you didn't know about disposable diapers...Did you know that you are not supposed to just fold those dirty diapers up and toss them in the trash? You are actually supposed to dump any solids in the toilet and flush it down just like you would a cloth diaper (it even says this on the disposable diaper box). Can you believe that? Who knew? I know that no one who uses disposable diapers actually does this, but it is unsanitary for human feces to end up in the land fill. Did you know that it can seep into the ground and get into your water supply causing disease? Okay, so maybe that's a little extreme, but it could happen! AND it takes up to 200 years for a disposable diaper to decompose in the landfill. When you consider up to 7,000 diapers per child from new born to potty training, that's A LOT of diapers. I told you....I'm obsessed!
It's so fun (and a little overwhelming) researching cloth diapers but I've learned a lot so far and I'm excited to see where this road takes us. :)
I think that is awesome. And it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about your decisions, your the mommy not them. Good luck! :)
ReplyDeleteMelanie