Well, enough about that. I'm gearing up for a little holiday celebration at our house this weekend. I've invited most of my dad's family over for a small get together over finger foods and drinks. My Aunt Norma used to be the facilitator, her house was always the gathering place during the holidays. The family hasn't gotten together nearly as often as we should since she has passed away. Even though our house is small, I figured it doesn't really matter as long as we're all together. It should be a nice time to catch up and visit with everyone. I have my work cut out for me though, as you know, I always out do myself and have quite the menu prepared! This isn't a menu that helps the waist line, if you know what I mean. :)
Marissa has met one MAJOR milestone over the last few days....she's F-I-N-A-L-L-Y taking a B-O-T-T-L-E! Yes, a BOTTLE! Ahh, it's about dang time, child. After 8 long weeks of battling with the bottle, she has either figured it out or figured it's a losing battle and she might as well just drink her milk like a good little girl. I am so proud of her! Sometimes it is still a bit of a struggle, and she's VERY particular on how you hold the goods, but a little patience and some really warm milk and she'll guzzle down a bottle before you know it. I have to say, it's kind of nice to be getting some of my freezer space back! I was beginning to think that I had a freezer full of milk that my child won't eat.
Speaking of eating, I've decided that I'm going to make baby food for Marissa (when the time comes). Can you tell I'm getting "crunchy" in my old age? For those of you that aren't following me, by "crunchy" I mean hippie-ish, au naturale, etc. etc. Of course, Marissa won't be ready for solid foods for a few more months, let's say around 6 months she should be good to go! It absolutely amazes me how many people have said "well, I fed my child at _____ months and they turned out fine, why are you waiting?" Umm...I'm waiting because I want to and I don't have to tell you. Ah, ah, if it was only that easy. People want to know why you are making certain decisions for your child, they want to tell you that they don't agree with or support what you're doing and people want to passive aggressively tell others that your parenting styles are all wrong. Please remember people, I'm very, very stubborn. If you tell me I can't do something or that I won't stick to something...I will most likely prove you wrong!
So here's the run down on WHY we are waiting to give Marissa solids. I've put it in bullet format so it's easy to follow. :)
- At 3 months, babies do not have the proper enzymes to break down food. Therefore, it sits in their little tummy's until something else (like breast milk or formula) comes along and pushes it through. This makes for a constipated baby, that sounds like fun, doesn't it?
- Babies have something called a tongue thrust reflex. If you don't believe me, call on Dr. Google. Have you ever tried to give a baby food and they spit it out? You are probably thinking oh, it's a new texture, they probably don't like the taste, etc. Well, if that baby is younger than 6 months, they are probably telling you hey, I don't want this because I can choke on it! Babies have this NATURAL tongue thrust reflex to PROTECT them from CHOKING. Meanwhile, people are so eager to shove foods down your child's throat because they think it's fun. Your baby doesn't know how to move the food to the back of his throat and swallow it. Just remember that breast milk was designed for a PURPOSE!
- My favorite..."why don't you start rice cereal?" and "rice cereal will help her sleep better." Hmm...let me think about this for a minute...let me substitute delicious, healthy, immune building breast milk for an empty, useless, crap food! Sounds like a plan! Hands down, rice cereal cannot even compete with breast milk. Hey, maybe it works for you, but I have no intent on giving it to Marissa. She sleeps great and let's be honest, I didn't sign up to be a mom expecting to get 8 to 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
- With new foods, comes new poos! That's right, I'm holding off on solids because who really wants to move onto that peanut buttery poop stage early? Not me! I'm perfectly content with her Grey Poupon Mustard poops! :)
Marissa has her whole life to explore and try new foods. What's the big rush? I will say, I am just a teeny bit excited to see her try avocado for the first time! Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE my guacamole. Not that she'll be partaking in the chips that come along with the guac, but it should be fun to see what foods she likes and dislikes. We will probably start off with things like sweet potatoes, peas, carrots and maybe green beans. Then we'll likely move on to pears, peaches, bananas, etc, but all in due time. In the meantime, can people please stop questioning my parenting abilities? It's almost insulting!
The sitter sent me a picture of Marissa in the bumbo seat today! Such a big girl!


No comments:
Post a Comment