I've compiled a list of diapers I have and pros and cons to each. This is not an "end all be all" list. My favorite diaper might be your worst nightmare and vice versa.
Here goes!
BumGenius 4.0
Average Price - $14.95 - 17.95
Pros:
- Great fit for Marissa
- Average cost, not too high
- Versatile fit, ranging from 10-35 pounds
- Cute colors and a few prints are available
- Available in snaps or velcro
- Good quality
- Comes with two microfiber inserts
- Can buy at almost any cloth diaper retailer
- Good resale value
- Fast drying time
- Some babies have an allergy to the microsuede material lining the inside of the diaper, this can usually be remedied by using a fleece liner

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SmartiPants
Average Price - $13.95
Pros:
- Smart sleeve technology, no need to remove inserts since they agitate out in the wash
- Good fit for Marissa
- Versatile fit, ranging from 10-35 pounds
- Made in USA
- Good quality, lower price than other competing brands
- Fast drying time
- Only retails through their website
- Colors are available, but no prints
- For the velcro lovers, I believe they only come in snaps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rumparooz
Average Price - $23.00 - 25.00
Pros:
- Double inner leg gusset to contain messes
- Comes in velcro or snaps
- Cute colors and prints
- Versatile fit from 10-35 pounds
- Comes with two microfiber inserts
- Good resale value
- Fast drying time
- Has a short rise on Marissa, I don't think they will last as long as our other diapers as far as fit
- I have two in velcro and they look terribly worn compared to my other velcro diapers and snaps
- Not as cost efficient as other brands
- Due to the rise being shorter, I find these to be bulkier

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuzzibunz
Average Cost - $17.95
Pros:
- Adjustable elastic in the waist and leg
- Easy to replace elastic in the legs
- Comes with an extra elastic replacement
- Great for skinny or small babies
- Cute colors and some prints available
- Fast drying time
- Not the best fit for Marissa, I'm not sure if it's their microfiber inserts or just the fit, but she leaks in them on occassion
- For the price, I would rather spend my money on a diaper that works better for us

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kawaii
Average Cost - $8.00 - $12.00
Pros:
- Cost efficient
- Cute prints
- Available in snaps or velcro
- Great for larger babies
- They have an overnight diaper that seems to have thicker material which works great (especially when paired with a microfiber insert and a hemp insert)
- Also available with minky fabric
- Fast drying time (with the exception of Minky diapers, they take longer to line dry)
- Hard to get, I've found Jack Be Natural to be the best site as far as availability, but sometimes it is hit or miss
- Manufactured in China
- Velcro does not hold up well, making diaper look worn after a short period of use
- I have several Kawaii's and they are all different. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. They all seem to be shaped differently and fit differently. If you are looking for consistency, this may not be the brand for you.
Regular Kawaii
This is the "heavy wetter overnight" diaper----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blueberry/Swaddlebees
Average Cost - $18.00 - 25.00
Pros:
- Cute prints
- Available in velcro and snaps
- Available with hemp inserts
- Good fit on Marissa
- Also available with minky fabric
- Versatile fit from 10-35 pounds
- Fast drying time (with the exception of Minky diapers)
- A little pricier than other brands
- Sometimes hard to get, especially prints
- Hemp inserts need to be folded before inserting into the pocket. For me, this is no big deal but for others it may be an extra step they don't want to worry about

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BG Elemental/Organic
Average Price - $25.00
Pros:
- All in one diaper, no need to stuff
- Great over night diaper, no leaks
- Made of organic materials
- Trim compared to many pocket diapers
- Comes in colors and a few prints
Cons:
- Takes a long time to dry (line or dryer)
- Expensive (but so worth it, In My Opinion (IMO))
- Natural fibers stain more easily than cotton, fleece, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prefolds and Thirsties Covers (with a snappi)
Average Price for Prefold - $1.50 - $3.00
Average Price for Covers - $10.00 - $12.00
I almost forgot about newborn cloth diapering! Most one size diapers do not fit a brand new, itty bitty, teeny tiny baby. For the newborn we used prefolds (you know, the diapers your mom probably used) along with a Thirsties cover. There are lots of covers out there to use, I've heard that rumparooz makes a great cover as well!
Pros:
- Cheap
- No stuffing required
- The Chinese prefold diapers from cottonbabies.com can be purchased by the single, so you can have as many (or as few) as you want!
- Stains easily (but nothing the sun can't fix)
- Little bit of a learning curve to learn how to fold them and use a snappi
- Green Mountain prefolds get great reviews, but you are limited to buying by the dozen (for me 2 dozen wasn't quite enough, but 3 dozen was too many, I settled for 28 of the prefolds from cottonbabies)
- Prefolds require a cover, they are not water proof
- Bulky on an itty bitty baby, but you get used to it...it's not like they are crawling around yet
Prefold w/ Snappi----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kissaluvs Size 0 or Cloth-eez Workhorse Fitteds
Average Cost: $4.95 - $12.95
Pros:
- Great fit for newborns.
- Easy to use, I used these at night so I didn't have to mess with a snappi
- Thirsties covers also work with these
- Snap down rise for when the umbilical cord is still attached
- Kissaluvs come in a few fun colors
- Fitted diapers require a cover, they are not water proof
- Kissaluvs Size 0 are a bit expensive, but the workhorse fitteds are a cheaper alternative
- Short period of use, since they really only fit small babies, they fit Marissa until about 2.5 - 3 months
- Since they are more expensive than prefolds, I only purchased 3 of these
Kissaluv Size 0 (KL0)
Workhorse fitted
No comments:
Post a Comment