- Sunning your diapers after they have been washed is great for getting out stains and the sun is a natural disinfectant.
- Fleece liners (you can make your own by purchasing no pill fleece from a craft store and then cut them into strips to go inside your diapers) are great for protecting your diapers and keeping your baby's butt dry. Fleece wicks away moisture and they keep our diapers looking new and fresh!
- Essential oils can be multi purpose. Place a few drops on a cloth wipe and throw it in your pail liner or wet bag to keep things smelling fresh. I personally love to use lavender.
- I use white distilled vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser on our washer, I also add in a few drops of essential oils. Vinegar is great for disinfecting, killing odors and cleaning your diapers naturally.
- Note: I have read that hard water and vinegar may not go well together, you will need to decide what is best for your situation.
- Hang drying your covers will prevent wear and tear on the elastic, buttons and velcro; making them last longer for future use!
- Wool dryer balls can cut down on your drying time. I recommend using at least 3 balls. We use these with our regular laundry as well.
- Most diapers come with an option of snaps or velcro. Personally, I like the snaps. We have no problem getting a nice fit and when Marissa gets a little older, it will be harder for her to undo the snaps versus undoing the velcro.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your pail liner or wet bag after a few diaper changes. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer (you know, the stuff you keep in your fridge) and it can minimize and even eliminate odors from your pail.
- Use cloth wipes! It is so much easier to use cloth wipes so that everything goes in the same pail, no need for an extra trash can at the changing table to put disposable wipes in.
- Get a nice sized diaper bag. Most cloth diapers are a bit bulkier than disposables (hence the name "fluff") so have a diaper bag that can accommodate your needs while out and about. I have a Vera Bradley Miller Bag and I love it! I normally keep 6 diapers in there, a wet bag, wipes, a spray bottle for the wipes, an extra change of clothes, toiletries like: soap, a comb, lanolin cream, etc., a blanket, a hat, a changing pad, a few rattles, a thermometer, pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. :) This bag holds a lot! Plus I got a matching lunch bag to take on the go.
These are just a few tips that I found helpful when diving into the cloth diaper world. You may find that some of these things don't work for your or don't apply to you. Do some research and figure out what works by trial and error!
I hope to do a review of the diapers we currently have and what we love about each one...stay tuned!

No comments:
Post a Comment