Layout

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY Applique for Marissa's Quilt

I wanted to add a special touch to Marissa's receiving blanket quilt that I'm making and I figured what better way than to add a monogram?

With the help of this tutorial on Grits & Giggles I was able to put a monogrammed "M" on Marissa's receiving blanket quilt.

I still have a lot to learn with my sewing machine and while it is far from perfect, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

First I cut out an "M" on my Cricut machine and traced it onto heat and bond paper.  Then I ironed the heat and bond onto my fabric of choice.  I chose green to coordinate with Marissa's quilt:


Once the heat and bond paper was cool, I cut out the letter "M" and removed the paper backing:

Next I ironed the applique "M" onto the center of my center quilt square.  This bonds the applique to your fabric:

Finally, with my sewing machine I did a zig-zag stitch along the edges of the "M".  This is where my imperfections can be seen.  It definitely takes practice and I probably shouldn't have made this my first project.  Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out and I'm excited to use this technique again.  Practice makes perfect, right?  


Next I will be adding the matting and backing and finishing the blanket off with a satin ribbon edge (Danny calls these "ribbon" blankets and he loves how they feel, I'll have to keep Marissa's blanket hidden from him). I know that my time is about to be cut very short with a newborn, but I'm enjoying my crafting in the meantime.  :)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment