The LC at my hospital highly suggested that I have a double electric pump at home. So we drove from the hospital to Target where I purchased a Medela Pump In Style Advanced (PISA). Since I had the pump on my baby registry, Target sent me a 10% completion coupon in the mail so I got 10% off of my purchase (hey, every little bit helps).
Medela PISA:

This is not the end all be all pump. There are many great pumps out there and you ultimately need to do a little research and see which one sounds best for you and your wallet. These little pumping machines are not exactly cheap.
I have also heard great things about the Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump. Shop around, find the best price, read reviews and I'm sure you will be happy with your final purchase. Just remember that usually once a pump has been opened, it cannot be returned (for health and safety reasons).
Over the next few weeks you will notice a lot of changes. Keep in mind that it takes up to 6 weeks for your milk to regulate. You may need to pump in between nursing sessions for relief and you might leak at the first cry of your baby. You will likely be sore and think that this will never get easier. Plus add in the post partum "baby blues" and your hormones being all out of whack and you might be feeling like this isn't for you. This is all normal. Persistence is key! You CAN do this! It does get easier, it becomes like a second nature and you WILL get sleep again, I promise. :) Just take one day at a time and trust that your body can do this. You have to be dedicated to making this work...it doesn't just come delivered on a silver platter.
Enjoy this bonding time with your baby because there will be a day in your not so distant future that your baby doesn't want to be held and coddled...instead they want to run ramped through the house, eating dog food, licking floors and getting into mischief. Take this time to get to know your baby, read his/her cues. I think you'll be surprised at how well you get to know your baby. You're the mom and you do know best, trust in yourself and know that everything will work out.
Enjoy this bonding time with your baby because there will be a day in your not so distant future that your baby doesn't want to be held and coddled...instead they want to run ramped through the house, eating dog food, licking floors and getting into mischief. Take this time to get to know your baby, read his/her cues. I think you'll be surprised at how well you get to know your baby. You're the mom and you do know best, trust in yourself and know that everything will work out.
The following sites are great resources and can answer almost any questions you may have:
Reach out to other mom's who have successfully BF. Having a great support system and determination is your #1 key to success.
Next up we'll discuss pumping at work, keeping a healthy BFing relationship with your baby and your BFing rights within the law!


Thanks! that was a big help!
ReplyDelete